Friday, August 1, 2014

August 2014 Bulletin:
Summer Reflections

Lead article from the August 2104 bulletin, online now.

Welcome back.  I hope you enjoyed your summer!  I get to fumble along with articles again this year, lucky you!!


I want to start this new year by reflecting on a recent experience I had back in June. Along with many of you, I was fortunate enough to walk with our Lord on Corpus Christi Sunday after the 10:30 a.m. Mass.


Sitting in church I noticed the church was pretty full for a summer Mass. I thought to myself, "This is great all these people here to walk with our Lord." Then as Father ended Mass and before the procession started, I couldn't believe how many people were leaving. They all had their reasons: kids are tired, have to be somewhere, weather could turn bad.  Believe me, I know; I was in the same place a few years ago. I didn’t have the time for a procession; there were more important places to go, and people waiting for me. Why would I want to walk around behind the Blessed Eucharist?  Someone I know may see me.  I was lukewarm in my faith, and this just didn’t seem very important at the time.  The discerning part was a comment like, “We shouldn’t do this because this is not a Catholic community anymore.  Why should we walk out in public with the Holy Eucharist?”


The Church staff did an amazing job of changing the route on the fly due to the weather. The procession was shortened to just around the church parking lot instead of to the Catholic school and back.  For those who stayed, and it was a good number of parishioners, we went to the four altars that were set up and heard beautiful gospels.


As Knights, we are called to be evangelists of our faith and to protect what we believe in.  We should not be afraid to step out of our comfort zone and show the world our faith.  What better way to do that than to participate in the procession and walk with the Lord through the streets?


My challenge to you this year is to invite others to share in our glorious faith and take our Lord to others who may not know him.



God Bless,
Grand Knight  Jim Wiegers


Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. -- 1 Corinthians 16:13

No comments:

Post a Comment